Registration is now open for the 2011 Chunkster Challenge (click the link for the sign-up page). This challenge is, simply put, all about reading fat books (or thick, chunky, stout...whatever word you prefer). The Challenge runs from February 1, 2011 through January 31, 2012. These are the guidelines:
What is a Chunkster:
- A Chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT fiction or nonfiction ... A Chunkster should be a challenge.
A Few Rules:
- No Audio books allowed
- No e-Books allowed
- No Short Stories and Essay collections
- No need to list your books ahead of time
Levels of Participation:
- The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader who wants to dabble in large tomes, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. four Chunksters is all you need to finish this challenge.
- The Plump Primer - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to six Chunksters over the next twelve months.
- Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the reader who can't resist bigger and bigger books and wants to commit to six Chunksters from the following categories: 2 books which are between 450 - 550 pages in length; 2 books which are 551 - 750 pages in length; 2 books which are GREATER than 750 pages in length.
- Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to eight or more Chunksters, of which three must be 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.
I know the rules say there is no need to list your books ahead of time, but if I don't there will be no accountability, so here are the ones I plan to finish during the challenge:
1. Ulysses (maybe doing it as part of a challenge will help me actually finish the thing)
3. Wolf Hall
4. The Secret History
5. Queen Margot
6. A Conspiracy of Paper
7. Gone With the Wind
9. The Library of Shadows