Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Best Villain Poll and the Hawk vs Ranger Result


About 10 days ago I wrote a post about the debate I've encountered as to which literary sidekick is cooler/tougher/sexier: Hawk from Robert Parker's Spenser series or Ranger from Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books (I also threw in Sherlock Holmes' partner just for fun). The results are in:

Hawk: 47%
Ranger: 38%
Dr. Watson: 16%

I think the best thing to come out of this experiment has to be the number of readers who had never heard of Hawk or Spenser or read any of Robert Parker's novel's, but are now interested in doing so. I also got a few complaints because I did not include Robert Crais' character Joe Pike.

Now for the next poll (posted to right side of the page). Having considered cool/tough/sexy good guys, perhaps it's time now to consider villains, but not simply bad guys (there are lots of those), but genius bad guys. I have selected the first three that came to mind: Professor Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes' arch-nemesis), Diogenes Pendergast (from the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child novels), and Thomas Harris' Hannibal Lecter.

Much like the way I chose Hawk over Ranger, I asked myself a simple question: if I could choose only one criminal mastermind to help me corner the market on all things evil, who would I want? Oddly enough, it's the character about whom the least is written: Moriarty. After all, Sherlock Holmes did call him the Napoleon of Crime.

And as with Hawk and the Spenser books, if you've never read any of the Preston/Child novels, you're definitely missing out.

May the best...I mean worst...man win.

No comments:

Post a Comment