Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Welcome to Somerset Books

Welcome to the first post of the Somerset Books blog. I should start with a disclaimer: the picture of the bookstore on the right side of the page is not my store. It's the famous Shakespeare and Company bookshop in Paris, but it pretty much captures what I think most book lovers envision when they think of a bookstore, and what I hope my store will someday be.

My goal is to open an independent bookstore for the readers of the North Texas area and beyond. It boggles the mind that a metro area of 6 million people has no choice for books but the corporate Axis of Evil that is Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Half-Price Books (the Wal-Mart of the book world), and my aim is to change that. This blog will chronicle the process of taking Somerset Books from dream to reality, as well as thoughts on books, reading, and the trends currently shaking the book world today.

The most common questions I get lately are "Why do you want to open a bookstore?" and "Do we really need bookstores in an electronic age?" The answer to the first question is simple: there has never been anywhere I've been more at peace than in a good bookstore, so why not take what you love and make it your life? The answer to the second question is the subject of my next post.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. Paul, if you could drop me a line, I would love to know more about your plans.

    -- Mike

    mmerschel@dallasnews.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drop me a line and come to New Orleans after Mardi Gras. This is the land of indie bookstores in the South!

    BTW, I lived in North Texas for 9 years. I remember the few indie books that existed in Dallas closed in the late 1990s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog is http://booksandotherstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete